Monday, May 5, 2008

Brother

It's funny, I can still remember my dad lifting me up so I could peer through the glass, 29 years ago today. I was 3 1/2, and so very excited about the idea of having a brother, and there he was finally. It's a crystal image in my memory, my tiny hands and nose pressed against the hospital glass, Dad's giant arm encircling my waist as he pointed out Brian to me with his free hand, the two of us standing there peering at this new life from the separate perspectives of brother and father.

What possessed my parents to do this, I'll never understand, but they let me choose my newborn brother's middle name. I don't think Brian has ever forgiven me for the fact that I picked out Boothe, after my imaginary friend Kerry Boothe, and I'm sure it's no coincidence that Kerry Boothe disappeared not long after Brian Boothe came onto the scene. Who needs a phantom playmate after that?

About the time Brian was the age I'd been when he was born, Dylan joined us. The three of us have been pretty much inseparable since then. The fact that we're all best friends seems so natural, I've just always taken it for granted. Sibling rivalries being what they are, of course there were fights and bruises and resentments, but it always came back to the brotherhood, the fellowship of the three. And then, so many years later, Erin joined the circle, becoming teacher of all things feminine to three boys who'd grown up without any sense of it. Now, as she approaches adulthood and I'm getting grey, I'm happy to see who she's become, glad to know that there's another close friend in my life.

So when I read this quote last night, I loved it instantly, I understood it immediately and how it applied to exactly the idea behind my first "Touchstone" posting, but I also understood how lucky I was.
From Richard Bach's "Illusions":

"The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof."

Respect and joy indeed! And today, I'm reflecting on that respect and joy that I have for so many people. Much love to you all, and happy birthday Brian!

-g

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful quote indeed, from a wonderful book and its astute author.
This post is a lovely reflection on shared, and maybe never before shared memories, and also the reflection of what it means to be the eldest sibling...I've often wondered how it must feel to be the oldest as I am the youngest, and so look up to my older brother and sister, as well as the examples they have given me in life. I suspect your younger siblings share at least some of that same awe. And respect...I see that in B, Dylan and Erin, a respect and honest love for their oldest brother and the examples he has given in their lifetime. :)
It is joyful to be in the presence of all four of you, and that's the most fitting word I can think of: joyful. Of course, many times heated and stimulating debates are par for the course, but you wouldn't be the Greer kids without that now would you??! But in the end, it's always just *joyful*.
To me, that is tangible truth and beauty, and one of the things that make your family so unique and special.

B said...

I always get jealous when you talk about childhood memories. You have them so distinctly imprinted, that it makes me wonder why mine are all so fuzzy, like someone else's dreams I'm trying to recall.

For some reason, from your description of dad, I picture him lifting you up with one arm, and holding a cigarette in the other. He's got a big black mustache, and his hair is only starting to gray.
I don't know why they're letting him smoke in the hospital, I guess because it's 1979, and they're cool with that sort of thing. He's also wearing one of those stupid shirts he used to always wear. You know, the kind with tiny stripes and alligators on them?

Oh, and no, I'll never forgive you for the Boothe thing. Good call on that one.

Gman said...

But it's such a damn cool name. I don't know anyone with that cool of a middle name. And it makes for some pretty great initials, BBG is sooo much better than GAG...

John said...

Your blog made me think about planets; their movements and familiarity. It's an image that has to do with patterns and bonds and an invisible connection that makes them belong. I enjoyed this very much, Graham. It's an intimite piece.