Probing with a touchstone
By rubbing a metal on a touchstone a small amount of metal is ground off onto the stone, and forms a colored stripe. This is typically compared to a stripe ground from an alloy of known high-quality composition next to the sample (this is called "priming" the stone).
By extension, the metaphorical use of touchstone means any physical or intellectual measure by which the validity of a concept can be tested.
**********************************************
There’s the starting point for an idea that's been banging around in my head for several weeks now. My own concept of a touchstone has always been based on the people in my life that I can go to and see if I'm out of sync with reality. These are the people that I can call up and say, "Hey, am I crazy, or does it seem like..."
There aren’t really all that many people I've come across in this life that qualify as a touchstone to me, but you're one of them. I miss our conversations when you aren't around. I have pretend conversations with you in my head sometimes when something reminds me of you, when I come across something I just know you'd have an opinion about. I'm indebted to you my friend, because of what you've done for me, because of what you mean to me, because of how you've helped me grow and evolve and discover myself. You're my touchstone, and you help me retain sanity, even when you aren't here with me, you're still here with me.
What's life without someone to share it with? What does a moment in time mean if I'm the only one that experiences it? When we connect, something divine takes place in that moment, something eternal and something more real than all the illusions of day to day life. You and I talking with each other, sharing our thoughts, looking at an object together, reciprocating an emotion, is life experiencing itself subjectively. To look another human being in the eye is to see the Divine, removed from time and space, reflected back at us. That moment is recognition of the Creator within us all.
In the Kurt Vonnegut novel, "Breakfast of Champions," Kilgore Trout walks into a bathroom and sees graffitti on the wall that reads "What is the purpose of life?" He scoffs and says (as if it should be obvious to everyone everywhere), "To be the eyes and ears and consciousness of the Creator of the universe." That's Vonnegut's genius, to pare down all the philosophy and religion of thousands of years into a single sentence that expresses it more perfectly than any of the texts and sermons and philosophical musings humanity has offered up previously.
That's us. That's us little human beings, tiny little isolated pockets of protoplasmic deities who are grasping desperately towards the other. We want to remind ourselves of that magical moment of joining another in conscious recognition of the moment, of that cooperative creation of divine connectedness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Welcome aboard. I will comment more when I'm sober.
This may possibly be the most beautiful thing I've ever read...I am more than honored to be included in this list, and more than humbled to be in your touchstone category. There are tears of happiness flowing down my cheeks, and I thank you for sharing this.
I love your blog-spot, and hope you continue to utilize this resource. What a gift you are Graham!
Huzzah!
Thanks for sharing a piece of that wonderful "being" inside of you with all of us!
This post leaves me humbled. Normally I want to roll my eyes when people speak of the meaning of life, divinity, magic and a creator. Perhaps I can't see the forest for the trees. It is uniquely human to be able to attach a higher meaning to the things we experience. I want to experience a relationship that I can describe as "magical".
I am impressed. You have an openness about you and a willingness to share with other that I could only dream of having. I have always admired your intellect and your opinions, even as skewed and stubborn as they might be from time to time. Thank you.
sorry my dog poops on your floor sometimes.
i must say it was a surprise to have such things said about me (the good kind). kudos to you and all of us here for being willing to reach for divinity. i know i certainly don't do so as often as i should. i can't help but be reminded of why tibetan buddhists bow to one other with their hands in the form of prayer: they are acknowledging that piece of dharma -the universal truth of existence that resides in all things- that is within you. i'll try to remind myself that we are touchstones to each other when we constantly butt heads (even when you call bullshit on me).
Spot on, Graham. There is no greater confirmation of self than to know that you are held in high regard by those whom you respect. It's the best test of substance and ground - to know yourself the way these people know. You've left me very ponderous, friend.
I'm proud to be one of your touchstones mate! You've had and have the same impact on me on a daily basis. You and everyone i know who reads this are with me every day as i walk the streets of an alien town and continue to seek the center of all things.
Here are a few encouragements that i wholeheartedly agree, and am happy to see you iterate a concept that we've talked about on many occasions.
I look very forward to seeing you soon my spiritual brother, and would like to see this open into a more regular dialogue between us once again. I am starved for the interaction we've had, and am thankful for your presence in my life.
JB
"If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father (Universe- My interpretation)" Attributed to Jesus Christ- Gospel of St. Thomas
Open Your Own Treasure House
Daiju visited the master Baso in China. Baso asked: "What do you seek?"
"Enlightenment," replied Daiju.
"You have your own treasure house. Why do you search outside?" Baso asked.
Daiju inquired: "Where is my treasure house?"
Baso answered: "What you are asking is your treasure house."
Daiju was enlightened! Ever after he urged his friends: "Open your own tresure house and use those treasures."
From Descartes's error to Sartre's Insight
The seventeenth century philosopher Descartes, regarded as the founder of modern philosophy, gave expression to this primary error (that you ARE your ego) with this famous dictum, "I think, therefore I am." This was the answer he found to the question "Is there anything i can know with absolute certainty?" He realized that the fact that he was always thinking was beyond doubt, and so he equated thinking with Being, that is to say, identity----I am----- with thinking. Instead of the ultimate truth, he had found the root of the ego, but he didn't know that.
It took almost three hundred years before another famous philosopher saw something in that statement that Descartes, as well as everybody else, had overlooked. His name was Jean-Paul Sartre. He looked at Descartes's statement very deeply and suddenly realized, in his own words, "The consciousness that says 'I am' is not the consciousness that thinks." What did he mean by that? When you are aware that you are thinking, that awareness is not part of thinking. It is a different dimension of consciousness. And it is THAT awareness that says "I am." If there were nothing but thought in you, you wouldn't even know that you are thinking. You would be like a dreamer who doesn't know he is dreaming. You would be as identified with every thought as the dreamer is with every image in the dream. Many people still live like that, like sleepwalkers, trapped in old dysfunctional mind-sets that continuously recreate the same nightmarish reality. When you know you are dreaming, you are awake within the dream. Another dimension of consciousness has come in.
The implication of Sartre's insight is profound, but he himself was still too identified with thinking to realize the full significance of what he had discovered: an emerging new dimension of consciousness. Eckhart Tolle- A New Earth
Nice....
There's alot of different types of touchstones as well. I mean we can purely achieve it through an intellectual connection, or the experiences we shared with each other in our lives that made us grow together. You are one of the few people i feel i can count on at any point in this existence, others that have been or are to come. Profound, probing and visionary as usual!
Dude, I don't care how close we are, I'm not touching your stones
Post a Comment