...Sacred? A former teacher of mine once asked the class to define what it meant to each of us. He made his way round the room asking each person, and as I listened to the responses of "my children," "my family," "my friends," "my time," "God," "Earth," I began to find it more and more difficult to pin down exactly what it was that I found sacred in life and about life. In a way, I agreed with everyone, that these things all were indeed sacred, and so my list kept growing with each person's answer. Is it all simply relative to the individual, I wondered, or is there a universal sacredness to anything? If it's relative, I thought, then nothing is really sacred in and of itself, it's us that makes a thing sacred. If there is something universally sacred, then what is it? When it came my turn, there had been such a laundry list of sacred things mentioned already, I had to say "well, it's either nothing, or it's everything, I can't decide which." It had to do for my answer at the time, because I truly couldn't decide what I thought. Years later, I think that whatever it is we can all agree is "sacred" has to have something to do with sharing.
We really only ever show just bits and pieces of ourselves to one another. A shared conversation here, an inside joke there, our workplace personaes or our political musings, a lazy Sunday evening dinner or a grumpy Monday morning phone call. And that's what's sacred, those moments and parts of ourselves that we share. Here we are, isolated and scared little human beings, wondering what the Hell is going on, yet we somehow have the courage to reach out into the darkness and feel around for something to hold on to and someone to tell our secrets to.
It's why boundaries, and respect, are so important. This little piece of me that you saw last night after drinks and cigarettes and raucous laughter is not the piece of me that I show my mother at 4 PM on a Tuesday. Lovers of course know the ultimate significance of boundaries and sharing, those most secret and passionate moments that they can share with no one else. (Those men that swap stories of conquest with their friends are denying the existence of their participation in something sacred; they rationalize their refusal to commit, assuage their guilt over abandonment.)
What part of ourselves we share with another person depends on a near infinite number of things, but we certainly never share every bit of who we are with another person. There's no way we could, and there's no way we'd want to. So much of who we are inside our thoughts is hidden from view, and so much of what it means to live in our time and place means that there are taboos and limitations and just plain practicalities that keep us from seeing many, many parts of each other. (Fear is one of the strongest forces in our culture too, and it keeps us very separate from one another - "don't ask, don't tell.") So what we end up with as a result is a very limited picture of each other, like a patchwork quilt missing most of its squares. Some of our pictures are more complete than others, but they're all incomplete.
If someone asked me today to define the word "sacred," I think I'd still have an awfully hard time coming up with a definition. The best I could do is describe what it looks like to me. There's nothing inherently sacred about me, or you, or our children, or any thing you might name. If our bodies have souls, or if we all have some energy or vision or spirit that extends beyond our bodies, it is not a sacred thing. My body, whether greater than the sum of its parts or not, is not a sacred thing; in fact, no thing in isolation is ever sacred, that goes for a rock or a mouse or a god. What is sacred is the interaction between all of those things, all of those bodies in motion throughout this barely seen universe continually bumping into one another, purposefully, and randomly. Where we overlap is where the sacred lives; in experiencing each other, we experience the divine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Ah yes, the eternal question of the definition of "sacred".
I remember sitting in one of my first Psych classes and our Professor posing the definition of "divine" to us...my answer wasn't exactly the same as yours, but along the same lines just the same.
I particularly like the last sentence of your blog, and it approaches my own definitions of sacred or divine: "Where we overlap is where the sacred lives; in experiencing each other, we experience the divine."
Our thoughts and ideas, our bodies, even our very souls are not at all sacred on their own, just as you've mentioned. The sacredness lies in the overlapping of our selves.
It is when we share the little bits and pieces, and open ourselves to contributing to the sacredness or divinity of another or a group of people, that we finally approach understanding.
My answer that day was one word: Understanding.
Since that day I've deliberated that question quite a bit.
The best personal definition of sacred or divine has evolved for me a bit; what I was missing back then were a few, yet very key, factors of the whole quotient or at least a more complete picture.
I was missing the inherent beauty in sharing, in having that true curiosity and desire to learn from and about one another.
And for many years I missed the whole idea of being an open person that is ready and willing to *receive*.
It was definitely a "Euraka!" moment. Without that reception then we are only one half of a circle of knowing.
We can plug in and really want to give, to share and learn and all those wonderful things, but without receiving, that circle can never complete itself.
Many days we get so caught up in the minutiae of just existing that we forget how to really exist. Over the years I've begun to see how being able to receive, at least in my opinion, is necessary to really exist.
Without being able to receive all the wonderful things another is trying to share, we can never reach a truly clear level of comprehension.
It took me forever to finally get that clear in my head, I had to learn how to take and not just give, give, give!
Sharing these little bits and pieces oftentimes takes courage and bravery, and sharing + curiosity + an open mind and heart for receiving = at least a certain degree of understanding of the amazing human condition that exists on this tiny rock hurtling through this incomprehensibly vast universe.
I do always enjoy your blog posts.
Thanks for sharing these thoughts. :)
So... Venn Diagrams are sacred?
Jay, ever the smartass...
The diagrams? No.
What they represent? Possibly.
More specifically, the diagram itself is a thing in isolation until it is viewed or perceived or interacted with by some other object. Then, yes, it becomes sacred in its transference of knowledge, energy, information. That's the important part - shared information, that creates change. Sharing always creates change, and that is what becomes (my definition of) sacred.
I had to wiki "Venn diagram" before I knew what you were talking about...
I am honored to have typed something that would make Gman wiki... :)
Question: (this is only mild smartassery, and probably should be a post on MY blog... but, eh! I figured out a way to make it relate, so here it is.)
So what happens on a social-media site (i.e. MySpace/Facebook) when someone from your past asks to be your "friend" NOW, when you most certainly were NOT friends THEN?
(Here comes the relevance, I promise) This person and I interpersonally shared time and geographic space for a period of several years. But we most unequivocally were NOT friends. In fact, we were kind of nemisi (plural form) to each other. Maybe, at best, we shared a smattering of drunken "small talks" but even then, it would have been clipped and measured because I would have been WAY TOO COOL for him. (That's totally not true, but I probably would have thought that, b/c I was an asshole for quite a time there right after college.)
So anyways... how do you handle a very pointed Not-friend from the pat wanting to be a cyber-friend in the present?
Any help here would be appreciated!
Jay,
I see three approaches here, ones that I'm sure you've already considered and tossed by the wayside in hopes that you, or someone else, will come up with a better alternative.
1. Ignore the invite. If you ever come face-to-face with them again, pretend you didn't realize it was them. "Oh, it was THAT Jason Smith! Sorry man, I never even realized that was you!" - Dishonest, therefore not recommended.
2. Accept the invite, have minimal interaction with this person via Myspace. - Shallow, fake, therefore not recommended.
3. Accept the invite, and immediately email them with something like the following:
Dear "So-and-so",
I received your invitation to become virtual friends on the popular social networking site, Myspace.com, and I have some questions for you, out of curiousity. I) Are you really just inviting me to be "friends" so that I can join your Mafia game? If so, no thanks; I have real friends who need my help, and I don't even join their mobs. II) Have you done so many drugs since we were in college that, when looking back at our time spent together, you've lost touch with reality and pieced together a fantasy scenario in which we were actually friends then? III) Are you asking me to be your Myspace friend out of some guilt-ridden complex you've developed for being such an asshole all those years ago? If so, please see a professional counselor as I cannot help you. IV) Have you recently become fabulously wealthy, and are looking for some decent, compassionate, hard-working friends to share your newfound wealth with? If so, please send a check made out to "Cash" to the following address:
If you go with option 3, send me a screenshot of the email in your sent items so that I can brag to my friends about how cool you are.
-gman
Wahahahaha!!
G, you are hilarious.
All four scenarios in option 3 have me cracking up to the point that I nearly simultaneously snorted apple juice out of my nose AND almost pissed myself.
ahhhh, well written my friend, well written.
Post a Comment